Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Major

The nursing field is an extremely popular field of study, especially for young, female college students.  I have been pretty certain about this career choice for awhile.  The sciences have always been something I enjoyed, and outside influences have really helped me decide on this career choice.
Health/Medical. 04/15/12 via pixaby.
Public Domain


1.   What do students in your program or department learn how to do?

Nursing students focus on the science courses.  Currently, I am taking second semester chemistry and next year I am taking bio and anatomy.  Nursing students learn about the human body and their functions and caring for patients both mentally and physically.

2.            What do people who get degrees in this field usually go on to do for work?

After graduating with a nursing degree, post-grads mostly get jobs as registered nurses. Others go on to get higher degrees in nurses and become physician’s assistant or nurse practitioners.  Other jobs common for those with a degree in nursing teaching, nursing informatics, and nursing administrator.

3.            What drew you to this field?

When I was a younger and lived at home, my grandparents lived with my family and me.  We were always in and out of hospitals because my grandparents were constantly sick or had health problems.  I rarely would ever remember the doctors and sometimes would not even recall seeing them ever.  I always knew that my grandparents stay at the hospital depended on the nurses they had. 

One hospital visit my grandpa had a terrible nurse.  Not that the nurse was incompetent; however, the nurse gave off an unpleasant attitude, which is not something patients or their families need during difficult times.  My grandma was a nurse before she retired and she would always tell me stories about how she treated every patient like they were apart of her family.  My grandma was an extremely successful nurse and very popular amongst patients.  This has always stuck with me and something I wanted to bring to this field.  My grandparents were huge influences on my future career choice.

4.            Name three of the leaders/most exciting people involved in this field right now in 2016. Why are they interesting or exciting to you? These could be individual people or specific companies, organizations, businesses or non-profits. Hyperlink us to a homepage professional website for each person, if possible.

Three leaders in the nursing field are facilities like Ensign Group, Genesis Healthcare, and Golden Living.  Ensign Group interested me because it is a major facility from California--where I am from.  It is a rehabilitation center for the elderly.  Genesis Healthcare is the number 1 healthcare facility.  Golden Living is another high ranking healthcare facility in America.

5.            What are the names of three leading academic/scholarly journals in your field? Where are they published? Give us the names and locations of at least 3. (HINT: If you have no idea what the answer to this question is, try Googling “What are the top academic journals in [insert field of study]?” and peruse the results). Make the titles of each journal into a working hyperlink to the website for that publication. (NOTE: if your links aren’t included or don’t work or if the page it directs us to is blocked from public view, I will not be able to assign you full credit for this exercise).

Three leading scholarly journals in the nursing field:
·      Published in Philadelphia, PA


No comments:

Post a Comment